Arcola’s Green Sunday 2nd August – The Dalston Mill
Entrance to The Dalston Mill by the Peace Mural on Dalston Lane, between Ashwin Street and Hartwell Street, E8
Free Entry- all welcome
To celebrate the summer Green Sundays moves out of the Arcola to an urban retreat in the heart of Dalston. Featuring a working mill and a field of wheat, The Dalston Mill is a temporary rural space designed by experimental architectural collective EXYZT as part of the Barbican Art Gallery’s exhibition Radical Nature – Art and Architecture for a Changing Planet 1969-2009.
August’s Green Sunday features a range of free activities, workshops and performances to entertain and inspire.
3pm – 5pm : Workshops and Kids Activities
• ecoACTIVE creative workshop exploring sustainable development in a fun and engaging way by creating natural forms out of unnatural materials. Suitable for kids of all ages. Sculptures creating will stay as part of the Dalston Mill exhibit.
• SwapShop – helps reduce landfill by bringing along unwanted clothes, cds, dvds or books and swap them for something you need.
• Homemade Toiletries: Be guided through making your own natural toiletries with the Fab Cat on Oats girls, Karen and Kate, as they show you how to make bath soaks to lip balm using ingredients from your very own larder.
• Cake Decorating workshop
- Jagdish Patel from the shop ‘Party Party’ on Ridley Road will lead a cake decoration master-class. Participants need to bring their own cake.
• Bike MOT check/service provided by the London Cycling Campaign in Hackney. Give your cycle the once-over and check that it is roadworthy.
5pm – 7.30pm : Evening Entertainment
• Kabula performance and workshop exploring percussion and Caporeia Angola, an exhilarating and elegant blend of dance, play, fight and music of Afro-Brazilian origin.
• VoiCE are a young, female a cappella trio whose music spans both the ages and continents. Performing both secular and sacred music, their voices blend to create beautiful harmonies that resonate deep within their audiences.
Bar opening times 7pm-10pm
Visit www.tfl.gov.uk for walking, cycling and public transport routes to The Dalston Mill.